What's the ideal way to diagnose the initial problem stated?

I can see in our cluster we have a node with 43GB (of 500) free, yet most
others have around 100GB free (of 500). I can see the shard count per node
(using _cat/shards) seems to roughly the same, but could it be because some
of our shards are just different sizes?
In the case of the OP though, a 500GB difference seems difficult to explain.

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor