Hi,

I'm facing a performance issue with some aggregations I perform, and I need
your help if possible:

I have to documents, the *request* and the *event*. The request is the
parent of the event. Below is a (sample) mapping

"event" : {
"dynamic" : "strict",
"_parent" : {
           "type" : "request"
        },
"properties" : {
   "event_time" : {
"format" : "dateOptionalTime",
"type" : "date"
           },
   "count" : {
      "type" : "integer"
    },
    "event" : {
        "index" : "not_analyzed",
        "type" : "string"

"request" : {
    "dynamic" : "strict",
     "_id" : {
       "path" : "uniqueId"
     },
     "properties" : {
        "uniqueId" : {
             "index" : "not_analyzed",
             "type" : "string"
        },
        "user" : {
             "index" : "not_analyzed",
             "type" : "string"
        },
       "code" : {
          "type" : "integer"
       },
       "country" : {
         "index" : "not_analyzed",
         "type" : "string"
       },
       "city" : {
         "index" : "not_analyzed",
         "type" : "string"

My cluster is becoming really big (almost 2 TB of data with billions of
documents) and i maintain one index per day, whereas I occasionally delete
old indices. My daily index is about 20GB big. The version of elasticsearch
that I use is 1.1.1.

My problems start when I want to get some aggregations of events with some
criteria which is applied in the parent request document. For example count
be the events of type *click for country = US and code=12. What I was
initially doing was to generate a scriptFilter for the request document (in
Groovy) and I was adding multiple aggregations in one search request. This
ended up being very slow so I removed the scripting logic and I supported
my logic with java code.*

What seems to be initially solved in my local machine, when I got back to
the cluster, nothing has changed. Again my app performs really really poor.
I get more than 10 seconds to perform a search with ~10 sub-aggregations.

What seems strange is that I notice that the cluster is pretty ok with
regards load average, CPU etc.

Any hints on where to look for solving this out? to be able to identify the
bottleneck

*Ask for any additional information to provide*, I didn't want to make this
post too long to read
Thank you