Every man and his own business requirements and SLAs. Many scenarios I've
seen would consider two-thirds of shards responding as an OK scenario and
not even show a notice about results being partial. But of course it makes
sense to throw an exception if your business requires / expects that.

FWIW, this is usually why you use replicas, so even if a shard goes down
there's a back-up shard (ideally more than one) that you can fallback to.

--

Itamar Syn-Hershko
Freelance Developer & Consultant