Eitan,

My recommendation is to use the stdin input in logstash and avoid its file
input. Then, for testing you pipe the file into your logstash instance. But
in production, you should run the GNU version of *tail -F* (uppercase F
option) to correctly follow all forms of rotated logs, and the pipe that
output into your logstash instance.

I don't know just how robust logstash's file input is, but the GNU version
of tail with the -F option is perfect, so there's no guesswork and no
dependency on hope. Note that even Splunk has a currently open bug with
losing data while trying to follow a rotated file.

Also, I added the multiline processing to the filters; it didn't seem to
work when applied as a stdin codec. Now it works very well together.

Anyway, that's what our group is doing.

And yes, the logstash-users
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/logstash-users> group is also
rather active and is a good place for logstash-specific help.

Brian