Hi David

Thank you for your reply, so based on your suggestion I should maintain a
document (e.g. user) with some aggregated values and I should update it as
we move along with our indexing of our data, correct?

This though would only give me totals. I cannot apply something like a
range. I found as well a similar discussion here
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/elasticsearch/UsrCG2Abj-A/IDO9DX_PoQwJ.
Maybe something similar with the terms and histogram aggregation could
support this logic like instead of giving :

{
    "aggs" : {
        "requests_distribution" : {
            "distribution" : {
                "field" : "user_id",
                "interval" : 50

and the result could be:

{
    "aggregations": {
        "requests_distribution" : {
            "buckets": [
                {
                    "key": 0,
                    "doc_count": 2
                },
                {
                    "key": 50,
                    "doc_count": 400
                },
                {
                    "key": 150,
                    "doc_count": 30
                }
            ]

Where the key represents a unique number of users like for 0 to 50 users
have 2 documents per user etc.

Just an idea

Thanks
Thomas