Am Dienstag, 24. Juni 2014 18:04:38 UTC+2 schrieb John Smith:

> I was wondering what reaction the community had to this article:
>
> http://aphyr.com/posts/317-call-me-maybe-elasticsearch
>
> I would be interested in a response from knowledgeable users/developers.
>
> After reading this article:
>
> I wanted to know
>
> 1)If the issues brought up in this article are valid and how likely you
> are to encounter them in production?
> 2) If they are valid, how can you minimize them with the current code
> bases?
> 3) What is being done in the short/medium/long term to address these issue
> ? Are there any particular issues we can follow to track progress.

Great article. I can only comment on 1) and 2):
(1) I've repeatedly encountered split brains despite having 3 servers and
discovery.zen.minimum_master_nodes=2.
(2) After being fed up with this, I decided to give elasticsearch-zookeeper
a try. Since I wanted to use it on  1.2.1 and with zookeeper 3.4.6 I have
forked imotov's repo and created releases for elasticsearch 1.1.3 and 1.2.1
- you can find it on github
<https://github.com/grmblfrz/elasticsearch-zookeeper>. Since then, no more
split brains have occured.
There is another discovery plugin (eskka <https://github.com/shikhar/eskka>)
which according to the comments in the article might be more robust.

--Swen