In terms of the parsing exception, can you simply index the document with
the field entirely?

As far as sorting goes, it makes sense to push the location-less documents
to the top or bottom. You lost me on the part regarding the rescorer. Do
you need the location-less documents to be returned in your query?

--
Ivan