I posted this over on Github, but thought I might get more eyeballs here.
 I'm deploying an ES cluster to EC2 via OpsWorks using the method described
here:
http://blogs.aws.amazon.com/application-management/post/Tx3MEVKS0A4G7R5/Deploying-Elasticsearch-with-OpsWorks

Out of the box, it all works perfectly, but my client requires ES 1.0+ so
I've updated the ES version in the cookbook from 0.90.12 to 1.1.1 by using
the commit
here: https://github.com/elasticsearch/cookbook-elasticsearch/pull/213

If I do the exact same thing, with that one change, I get 502 Bad Gateway
errors from nginx.  If I connect via SSH to one of the instances, I notice
elasticsearch is not even running and starting it manually doesn't seem to
work.

[ec2-user@search1 run]$ sudo service elasticsearch status -v
elasticsearch not running
[ec2-user@search1 run]$ sudo service elasticsearch start
PID file found in /usr/local/var/run/search1_localdomain.pid, elasticsearch
already running?
Starting elasticsearch...
[ec2-user@search1 run]$ sudo service elasticsearch status -v
elasticsearch not running

Should there be log files somewhere I can find?  Any ideas how to diagnose
this?

Thanks!