Your setup looks quite uncommon but I do not comment on that any further as
you seem to know what you do, just the idea of creating single shard
clusters and distributing them across data centers is counterintuitive to
the advantages of an ES installation.

I recommend revising your settings, they look very odd. Why did you change
the defaults? The heap size of 512m, this is definitely preventing more
shards.

Short answers to your questions

- no, clustering / sharding is not the main key to performance, it is
crucial for scalability

- you can cluster not only in LANs, but over all kinds of hosts as long as
they can respond fast "enough". Important for ES nodes is low latency on
the network. High latency between nodes induces instabilities into ES which
makes life hard as an operator.

- if you mean client perspective, you should look at the Tribe node that
can span multiple clusters
http://www.elasticsearch.org/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/current/modules-tribe.html

Jörg