Snapshot/restore is always recommended, but is a 1.0 feature. This is a
standard API of ES and well supported by the ES team. With that, you can
handle all kinds of index data safely on a binary level, fully and
incrementally.

Knapsack plugin is for document export/import only. I wrote it to transport
_source data harvested over a long time period from a  < 1.0 system to a
production system. It works on _source or stored fields only. It uses
search/query and bulk indexing API without snapshots, so it is up to the
admin to stop index writes while knapsack runs. There is also a lookup of
index settings and mappings, this information is also included in the
export archive file, and re-applied at import time. But, there is no check
if these settings/mappings can be applied on the target successfully, this
is left to the admin to prepare plugins, analyzers, etc. Aliases are not
transported but this is a good idea for improvement.

Currently, knapsack plugin does not work on ES 1.3 but I am progressing to
implement this. I am adding a Java-level API. Currently it is REST only.

Jörg