ORs certainly tend to be slower than simpler/shorter term queries, but I'd
suspect that cross-DC part because your index is tinny and servers are
beefy and plentiful.  Maybe you can look at your network and query metrics
and correlate a drop or spike in traffic or packet loss with slow queries?

Otis

tel: +1 347 480 1610   fax: +1 718 679 9190