There seems to be some reluctance by ES team to provide scrip table
aggregators, or perhaps it's on a roadmap and just taking a long time. Kimchi
has stated that he would like to identify these use cases and roll them into
built-in aggregations so everyone can benefit. I think the range of these use
cases is too broad for a specific set of implementations. The aggregations
types included are fine for simple stats and bucketing, but there are probably
hundreds of scenarios that require custom aggregation.

I'll probably look into creating a custom aggregator for my use case.

Note: a lot of the custom aggregators mentioned in this forum are general
implementations of the reduce clause in a map reduce statement.

My use case is the implementation of an Item Response Theory algorithm on a
filtered result set. The idea is that a list of student responses to a question
can be incrementally processed to result in a proficiency value. The filter
(map) results are restricted to a timeframe and sorted, and the aggregation
(reduce) step will incrementally inject each students score into an algorithm
that progressively converges on the student's ability magnitude to answer those
questions.