In the Java API, when you start a node, you can set "client(true)" or
"node.client: true".

When becoming a client, a node can no longer store data or become a master.
The node role is also recognized during discovery, so a cluster can decide
how to add the node to the cluster:

node.master = true --> this node is eligible for becoming a master
node.data = true -> this node is added to shard routing
node.client = true -> this node is ignored from master election/shard
routing

Jörg