Hi all,

The recent ES 1.3.1 announcement around the ning/compression library bug
had me excited because we have had a lingering replica shard inconsistency
issue for a long time (on a very old ES version, which we desperately
desire to upgrade, but have reasons why we can't just yet).

Anyway, we've tried the Disabling Compression on the recovery setting trick
and soaked the change for a few days but continue to see replica issues,
and wanted to report this back.

We regularly 'clean' these by shunting replica shards around to have them
rebuilt, so are confident they were clean for a day, and our check tool
finds small numbers still coming through each day.

I heard from another ES member privately around this same change, and the
1.3.1 does fix the issue for him, but the recovery setting trick doesn't
help either.

I'm not sure if a full cluster start/stop is required for the recovery
channel to switch to non-compressed, reading the release notes it seemed to
read like a runtime setting that could be changed immediately, but it's not
helping here for these types of issues.

I can't yet report if ES 1.3.1 does fix the underlying issue though because
of said upgrade issues (all our side, not an ES problem).

anyway, thought I would pass that data point on.

regards,

Paul Smith