OK, I would suggest setting index.merge.scheduler.max_thread_count to 1 for
spinning disks.

Maybe try also disabling merge throttling and see if that has an effect?  6
MB/sec seems slow...

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com

On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 8:57 PM, Chris Decker <ch...@chris-decker.com>
wrote:

> Mike,
>
> Thanks for the response.
>
> I'm running ES 1.2.1.  It appears the issue that you reported / corrected
> was included with ES 1.2.0.
>
> *Any other ideas / suggestions?  *Were the settings that I posted sane?
>

> Thanks!,
> Chris
>
> On Monday, August 25, 2014 1:52:46 PM UTC-4, Michael McCandless wrote:
>
>> Which version of ES are you using?  Versions before 1.2 have a bug that
>> caused merge throttling to throttle far more than requested such that you
>> couldn't get any faster than ~8 MB / sec.  See https://github.com/
>> elasticsearch/elasticsearch/issues/6018
>>
>> Tiered merge policy is best.
>>
>> Mike McCandless
>>
>> http://blog.mikemccandless.com
>>

>> On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 1:08 PM, Chris Decker <ch...@chris-decker.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>  All,
>>>
>>> I’m looking for advice on how to reduce the number of segments for my
>>> indices because in my use case (log analysis), quick searches are more
>>> important than real-time access to data.  I've turned many of the "knobs"
>>> available within ES, and read many blog postings, ES documentation, etc.,
>>> but still feel like there is room for important.
>>>
>>> Specific questions I have:
>>> 1. How can I increase the current merge rate?  According to Elastic HQ,
>>> my merge rate is 6 MB/s (according to Elastic HQ).  I know I don't have
>>> SSDs, but with 15k drives it seems like I should be able to get better
>>> rates.  I tried increasing indices.store.throttle.max_bytes_per_sec
>>> from the default of 20mb to 40mb in my templates, but I didn't see a
>>> noticeable change in disk IOps or the merge rate the next day.  Did I do
>>> something incorrectly?  I'm going to experiment with setting it overall
>>> with index.store.throttle.max_bytes_per_sec and removing it from my
>>> templates.
>>> 2. Should I move away from the default merge policy, or stick with the