Forgive me I'm a little lost.

I am working on deploying elasticsearch on a AWS server.  Previously in
development I have started elasticsearch using ./bin/elasticsearch
-Des.config=/etc/elasticsearch/elasticsearch.yml

But in live deployment, I want to keep elasticsearch running as a service...

I have 1.2.0 installed on Ubuntu 12.04 on my AWS instance.

I run sudo /etc/init.d/elasticsearch start and I get:
* Starting Elasticsearch server

I check sudo /etc/init.d/elasticsearch status and I get:
* elasticsearch is not running

I'm not sure how to troubleshoot.  Any advice or suggestions?  Thanks