Whenever I try to take a snapshot of an index which contains a ':' colon in
its name,I end up with the following trace:

{
    "error":"IllegalArgumentException[java.net.URISyntaxException: Relative
path in absolute URI: crawl:1]; nested: URISyntaxException[Relative path in
absolute URI: crawl:1]; ",
    "status":500
}

It does not matter if the 'indices' argument is provided or not, the
snapshot name is set to 'snapshot'. I have tried to specify the index
escaping the sign with '%3a' but in this case the name does not fit any
available indices.

I assume this is related to https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDFS-13
filenames with ':' colon throws java.lang.IllegalArgumentException?

The question is, is there a way to somehow escape the character (if not
within the request then perhaps code itself?) and if so, would creating a
feature request make sense?

Many thanks,
Mateusz