On Mon, Sep 8, 2014 at 4:42 PM, Robert Muir <robert.m...@elasticsearch.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 8, 2014 at 4:24 PM, Nikolas Everett <nik9...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > One thing on my side is that I don't really _need_ phrase queries.  I can
> > play around with the specification a bit so long as I stay sane.  I just
> > need to make documents that contain the terms near each other float to
> the
> > top.  It'd be better if it was the exact phrases but some false
> positives is
> > probably ok.  The phrase query got the job done but if there is a way to
> > cheat it I'm happy to try.
>
> For this purpose, why not stay with small window sizes (e.g. your 64,
> or maybe even much smaller). IMO terms being present within massively
> large windows means nothing. Personally i would consider one much
> smaller, like 5. I know there have been experiments/papers around
> this, i can dig up if you need, but I think its also kind of
> intuitive.
>
> This is probably a lot easier than doing anything around speeding up
> sloppy phrase scoring.

Sorry, I mean the rescore window.  I just set the phrase slop window to 1.
0 ignores some good matches - 2 brings up too much.  Thats really me more
tuning it to my tastes than anything but yeah.  I could try setting a
higher slop and see if that improves precision and what that costs for
performance though.

Nik