Your question is not very clear, but maybe you refer to JSR 236 for Java
EE.

Elasticsearch was never designed to run as a container managed Java EE
component in a Java EE container, so the question about thread creation is
unrelated.

If you want to use an ES client from within a Java EE container, start a
node client or transport client as a singleton, and stop it when the
service stops.

Can you be more specific about "strange side effects on application
servers"?

Jörg