(Apologies in advance for including sample code - having issues with gist
at the second...)

When running some tests against ElasticSearch 1.3.2, we noticed what
appears to be a problem with the "missing" filter. This problem manifests
with JVM 1.7.0_60 (recommended in the ES documentation), but disappears
under JVM 1.7.0_67.

If we create a simple template with a single property designating a string
field:

{
    "template": "empty_ex*",
    "settings": { "number_of_shards": 1 },

    "mappings": {
        "empty_example": {
           "_source": { "enabled" : true },
            "properties": {
                "testField": { "type": "string" }

And then enter a simple document:

curl -XPUT http://localhost:9200/empty_ex1/empty_example/1 -d
'{"testField":""}'

Then the following simple filter fails to retrieve the document in JVM
1.7.0_60, but retrieves the document properly in 1.7.0_67.

{
  "filter": {
    "missing": {
      "field": "testField"

Simply switching out the JVM changes the query results on existing indexes,
so this appears to be a query-side issue only. Adding "null_value": true
does not return any hits under JVM _60 either...

Can someone confirm this?

--
Les Barstow, Senior Software Engineer
Return Path, Inc.