Hello Michael ,

This should work for you -

cat scr
{
"script": "sdf = new
java.text.SimpleDateFormat('yyyy-MM-dd\\'T\\'HH:mm:ss');startDate =
sdf.parse(ctx._source.start);endDate = sdf.parse(ctx._source.end);
ctx._source.diff = endDate.getTime() - startDate.getTime();"
}
curl  -XPOST http://localhost:9200/test/logs/1/_update -d @scr
{"_index":"test","_type":"logs","_id":"1","_version":10

I was in the pretext that one can access the doc object for updation , but
seems we can only access _source here.
In that case , you need to parse the string to date object and then do the
stuffs.
The above works for me perfectly.

Thanks
           Vineeth