We are prepping to launch our app into production and seem to be having
some stability issues. We have a cluster of 4 VMs on Azure that all use the
Azure plugin for discovery. Most of the time it works as expected, but
sometimes it looses its mind. This morning for example, I made adjustments
to the memory allocated to the JVM of all nodes. I rebooted all of the
nodes, one at a time, waiting for a green status before rebooting the next
node. When I rebooted the fourth node, the cluster status turned red (as
per node #1). Node 1 only reported that nodes 1 and 2 were in the cluster.
I waited and nothing changed. I eventually checked the node status on node
3 and found that nodes 3 and 4 had formed their own cluster. I ended up in
a state where nodes 1 and 2 were in a cluster, with 2 being the master,
while 3 and 4 were in a separate cluster, with 3 being the master. I
stopped the elasticsearch service on 3 and 4 and then started the services
up again. They correctly found the cluster of nodes 1 and 2 and all is well
again. Why would this happen, and how can I prevent it from happening? On
node three I found some interesting log reports that I have copied to
https://gist.github.com/theikell/9948b1d318cdc4cd0ecf

Thanks.

Tim