Hi,

You have to calculate the volumes you will keep in one shard first then you
have to break your volumes into the number of shards you will maintain and
then scale accordingly into a number of nodes, or at least as your volumes
grow you should grow your cluster as well.

It is difficult to predict what problems may arise it is too generic your
case, what will be the usage of the cluster? what queries you will perform,
you will mostly do indexing and occasionally querying or you will
intensively query your data.

Most important you need to  think how you will partition your data, will
you have one index, multiple index like a logstash approach? or not
Maybe check here: https://www.found.no/foundation/sizing-elasticsearch/

For data more than a year what you will do delete them? Do you afford to
lose data? Will you keep backups?

IMHO, these are some of the questions you must answer in order to see
whether such an approach suit your needs. It is hardware, structure and
partitioning of your data.

Thomas