The problem was that my test script did not pause between
creating/populating the index, and searching on it. Even though there are
very few documents (10), ElasticSearch still needs a second or two to catch
its breath and mop its brow before it is ready to search.

Now to find a way to rank shorter strings higher than longer ones.... but
that's another question....

thanks
Lee