Regarding the recommendations for the maximal Java heap size, what is the
best practice to utilize one server with lots of RAM (12 or 16 cores, 256
GB RAM):

1. Create 4 VMs, each 64 GB RAM and 32 GB Java heap size per VM - more
shards per index

2. Use bare metal (256 GB RAM total), 128 GB Java heap size - less shards
per index

Besides the less usable RAM due to pointer compression not taking place,
does the large heap of alternative 2 affect the garbage collection and
stability in such a bad way, that I can consider this as* really not
recommended*?

On the other hand, are there serious performance (disk I/O) or other known
implications using ES in a VM (alternative 1)?

Or is it worth to try it out?

Thanks,

Jan