Does not it cause substantial inflation in the amount of data to be processed
and stored at indexing time?

As with most logs aggregation systems indexing is many orders of magnitude more
frequent operation than querying and I'm concerned that using multi_fields
instead of all simple string fields may negatively impact indexing performance.

May be there is a way to solve that problem at querying time?

ALSO each field gets "primary" name and other names with the dot and the suffix
for different representations. How to select which representation should be
used as primary?