Perhaps it is easier to talk about the downsides of doc_values.

If you have slow disks, common when using low level VMs with shared disks,
then retrieving your data will be much slower.

Also, you cannot filter on doc_values fields, so it depends on your other
use cases.

The amount field seems like a good candidate for doc_values, but it depends
on the downsides I highlighted above.

Cheers,

Ivan