I now the asciifolding filter docs are really very clear on this, but it
took me an embarrassingly long time to realise I was losing my currency
symbol (£) to the ASCII folding filter.

Other than creating my own character map with the char map filter, does
there exist something of production quality that would translate accented
UTF8 characters of the Latin-alphabet into non-accented characters in the
ASCII range?

TIA
Lee