I am pretty sure you can open the ports for the sec group the elb belongs
to , regardless of the az. (Az, not region). Unless you r using network
acls.

Anyway, not really ES... pm me if u want to continue the AWS discussion :-)

On 16/10/2014 3:37 pm, "Zoran Jeremic" <zoran.jere...@gmail.com> wrote:

> For the zone availability, I had to go with everything in one zone. Main
reason was the problem to connect ELB controlled application instances with
backend instances (MySQL, MongoDB and Elasticsearch). It's not possible to
add rule to the backend instances having port+elb security group if
instances are in different zones, so I had to keep everything in one zone.