In my use case I have indexed a union catalog for some hundred libraries,
where each library can have a search service, plus adding their own catalog
data they do not want to share.

Elasticsearch offers far more flexibility and performance than Solr with
the ability of automatic extending the cluster by adding nodes (without
configuration change) combined with automatic rebalancing of shards, plus
the feature of index aliases and shard over-allocation, an explanation is
here:
http://elasticsearch-users.115913.n3.nabble.com/Over-allocation-of-shards-td3673978.html

With index aliases, I do not have to perform evil things like shard
splitting. No index copy required, no full re-index.

That is, I can organize some library catalog index over the machines, and
address an "index view" for each library by assigning several index aliases
(e.g. collection names or library identifiers) to the library catalog
segments they are interested in, with term filters. Index updates come from
a single point of a primary data base plus data packages the libraries can
upload. If the number of input data exceeds the capacity, I can simply
start a new node, without touching the configuration.

Also, releasing new index versions is a snap with Elasticsearch. The index
names carry timestamp information (e.g. ddMMyyHH) and it is easy to
organize index versions like rolling windows, with the latest index being
the current one to search. Old indices are dropped if the are no longer
needed.

Jörg