Hi Jilles,

1.7u55 has indeed be the recommended version for a long time, but JDK 8u25
is fine too. The page that you linked is from elasticsearch-hadoop and
might be a bit outdated, we are trying to keep up to date information about
recommended JVMs at the following URL:
http://www.elasticsearch.org/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/current/setup.html#jvm-version

For reference we are also trying to improve our startup scripts so that
they would fail to start if you are using a JVM with known issues. See for
instance https://github.com/elasticsearch/elasticsearch/pull/7580

On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 1:03 PM, Jilles van Gurp <jillesvang...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I know JDK 7u55 was labeled as OK some time ago and this is still listed
> as the official requirement:
> http://www.elasticsearch.org/guide/en/elasticsearch/hadoop/current/requirements.html
>
> However, time has moved on and I was wondering what the testing status and
> advice is for more recent JDKs.
>
> Particularly, I'd like to know whether Oracle JDK 8u25 safe for production
> use (on centos 7)? We've used JDK 8u20 without issues on our dev servers
> but it would be nice to have some guidance on this since we are moving to
> production soon with this. The reason we're using Java 8 is because we are
> using that for our apps as well and it is kind of nice to have just one jdk
> to worry about. Also, I suspect there may be some perfomance benefits given
> the amount of change that went into e.g. hotspot.
>
> In general, an overview of common vms and status with respect to
> elasticsearch would be nice to have somewhere. There are quite a few
> different suppliers of vms at this point and picking one seems to be a bit
> of a black art & leap of faith currently. There's Openjdk, oracle jdk,
> Azul's Zulu (essentially openjdk as far as I know), and Azul's Zulu
> Enterprise. You can get each of these for Java 6, 7, and 8. Especially for
> openjdk, it also matters how it was built.
>
> Jilles

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/c3ecaa35-b1cb-47a5-8ee9-5bca711c9b38%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/c3ecaa35-b1cb-47a5-8ee9-5bca711c9b38%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>

Adrien Grand