We are using ES 1.3.2.
We have a need to specify custom id and routing values when indexing.
We've been doing this using Java APIs, however we would now like to update
the mapping to specify 'path's for _id and _routing.

The question we have is:
1) Since this type already has a huge number of documents, can we change
the mapping? When we tried it, we got a '"acknowledged": true' response,
but it doesn't seem to be working when we tried indexing.
2) In case there is a way to achieve this, will it affect only the new
documents being indexed?