Exactly default standard analyzer is meant for text analysis. ??? is not a word
either a number so it's removed.
If you need to analyze that, you should try to use another analyzer like:
http://www.elasticsearch.org/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/current/analysis-whitespace-analyzer.html#analysis-whitespace-analyzer

--
David Pilato | Technical Advocate | elasticsearch.com
david.pil...@elasticsearch.com