As an Elasticsearch hosting provider, I share Ben’s questions here.

We currently host Kibana 3 for our customers alongside their hosted ES
clusters. Our customers find this to be useful, since we’re able to offer a
zero-deploy, zero-configuration experience that already handles all the CORS
and authentication and such.

We’d like to continue providing that, and my current plan is to do a bit of
work with Kibana 4 to extract the static assets, but it would be nice to get
some official word from ES, Inc on the expected future trajectory for Kibana’s
deployment story. A bit of consideration for static deploys would be really
preferable to maintaining a de facto fork.

(Thanks for all the hard work, etc; I’m looking forward to getting Kibana 4 out
the door on Bonsai!)