Of course is Java 8 worth the effort.

Some highlights:

- no more permgen OOMs
- improved concurrency implementations:
http://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/technotes/guides/concurrency/changes8.html
- faster hash maps (20%)
- lambda expressions are faster than inner classes

Some concurrency classes like LongAdder are already included in ES.

Java 8 JVM brings also G1 GC to its full extension. G1 GC is not faster
than CMS GC, but it scales much better over multicore and reduces
stop-the-world pauses to milliseconds.

To exploit the full advantage of Java 8, ES would need a large overhaul by
rewriting inner classes to lambda style, streams, fork/join pool etc. As
long as Lucene does not switch to Java 8, the benefit is only partial.

Jörg