A while back, I wrote my own post-query response sorting so that I could
handle cases that Elasticsearch didn't. One case was sorting a scan query.
I used a Java TreeSet class and could also limit it to the top 'N'
(configurable) items. It is very, very quick, pretty much adding no
overhead to the existing scan logic. And it supports an arbitrarily complex
compound sort key, much like an SQL ORDERBY statement; it's very easy to
construct.

Probably not useful for a normal user query, but it is very useful for an
ad-hoc query in which I wish to scan across an indeterminately large result
set but still sort the results.

One of these days, it might make a good plug-in candidate. But I am not
sure how to integrate it with the scan API, so for now it's just part of
the Java client layer.

Brian