Thanks
Sorry - I did not stress this is *document* values and not *field* values.
Document values are stores in DVD file. which is small, compressed format.
I defined it to avoide having to access and parse the lucene document from
the huge FDT file (in my test- FDT file is 1000 times bigger than DVD file).
see
https://lucene.apache.org/core/4_3_1/core/org/apache/lucene/codecs/lucene42/Lucene42DocValuesFormat.html
.

I still try to avoide accessing the FDT file - it makes my query toooo slow.

Thanks again.