yeah.. doing that I am still getting the following no class def error:

... this really sucks.  Should just work out of the box.  Testing is kind
of the first thing I would expect most people to want to do...

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/lucene/index/LeafReader

at __randomizedtesting.SeedInfo.seed([5869799789B6B704]:0)

at
org.apache.lucene.util.TestRuleAssertionsRequired$1.evaluate(TestRuleAssertionsRequired.java:35)

at
org.apache.lucene.util.TestRuleMarkFailure$1.evaluate(TestRuleMarkFailure.java:48)

at
org.apache.lucene.util.TestRuleIgnoreAfterMaxFailures$1.evaluate(TestRuleIgnoreAfterMaxFailures.java:65)

at
org.apache.lucene.util.TestRuleIgnoreTestSuites$1.evaluate(TestRuleIgnoreTestSuites.java:55)

at
com.carrotsearch.randomizedtesting.rules.StatementAdapter.evaluate(StatementAdapter.java:36)

at
com.carrotsearch.randomizedtesting.ThreadLeakControl$StatementRunner.run(ThreadLeakControl.java:365)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:724)

org.apache.lucene.index.LeafReader

at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:308)