Hi Jaguar,

Marvel requires an index template to make sure some fields get the correct
mappings. Similar in nature to the logstash template
(see
https://github.com/logstash-plugins/logstash-output-elasticsearch/blob/master/lib/logstash/outputs/elasticsearch/elasticsearch-template.json

) .

Marvel uses the rest api because the range of ES versions it supports
(0.90.10 -> 1.4.1). Http gives you that flexibility.

Cheers,
Boaz