The best way to think of elasticsearch is as an ever evolving swiss army
knife for search. It has support for both traditional search features as
well as some advanced features for structured search. For example,
elasticsearch aggregations have very little to do with text search but are
highly useful for digging through log data and other structured data. I
wouldn't worry too much about the marketing, although given the work in
particular areas, I would expect a lot more emphasis on things it has
recently become much better on (e.g. aggregations, structured search, use
as a resilient sharded& replicated document store) rather than stuff it has
always done well (i.e. text search).

If you have a small company (like we do) and you are considering to bet the
future on a technology like elasticsearch (like we did), it is useful to
consider what you expect from the product right now and in the future. I'm
now two years into this choice and at the time it was a shaky bet informed
in no small part by my previous experience with lucene and solr. In short,
I knew what was possible technically, what the limitations were, and which
things were being worked on. So, it paid off but a lot of the features we
use today did not exist two years ago. In retrospect, our timing was
perfect and Elasticsearch seems to have a knack to deliver stuff we need
just in time.