Hello,

We had a 2 nodes, 10 shards cluster with about 150GB of data (not sure how
many documents, I would say about 150 millions since 1 doc is about 1K for
us). It worked fine under ES 1.3.4.

We tried to update it today to 1.4.2. Now the nodes won't start. They eat
up all RAM during the recovery phase (when booting, and starting engines on
all indices), then GC occurs when no more RAM is available for ES. ES then
eventually gets stuck with OOM errors.

I tried to increase the RAM given to ES to 30GB and it still eats all that
up and fails. Before with 1.3.4 we had 16GB allocated and no problems.

Why ES needs all that RAM? It's doing nothing, not servicing a single
request... it's only starting the recovery process...

We now have our production cluster down. It's really a huge problem for us,
please advise on any solutions or things we could try out.

Java is IcedTea 7.2.5.3
OS is Gentoo Linux