I myself prefer TransportClient as it has absolutely no impact on the cluster
state.
A new node joining the cluster generates a cluster state update which is
propagated to all nodes.

I prefer having a very stable cluster state than continuous updates. Think
about a Java batch which starts every minute and connect to the cluster to
perform whatever action.
That would be a lot of events per day.

That’s why I mostly prefer using TransportClient.

My 2 cents.

--
David Pilato | Technical Advocate | Elasticsearch.com
@dadoonet <https://twitter.com/dadoonet> | @elasticsearchfr