After some panic and searching the way mentioned in the docs
<http://www.elasticsearch.org/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/current/setup-repositories.html#_yum>

(at the end of the section) worked for me.

For impatient:

sudo /bin/systemctl daemon-reload # this line was the one I missed before
sudo /bin/systemctl enable elasticsearch.service