Hello,

I am building an application that performs aggregations over time-series
data.

The prevailing advice for my situation seems to be that I should use
filters rather than queries to provide scope for my aggregations. The
reasons being
            1) I have no need for scoring
            2) I will be able to take advantage of filter caching.

However, a very common use case is for my users to scope aggregations to a
completely arbitrary time range. This means it is relatively unlikely to
receive many requests scoped to exactly the same time range.

If I implement this using a range filter, does this mean for filter
caching? Is ElasticSearch going waste time and memory building a separate
filter cache for each individual range it sees? (and should I hence use a
query?) Or is it smarter than that?

cheers
Perryn