Greetings All,

I ran into an interesting issue when upgrading from ES version 1.0.1 to
newer versions.  In particular, I tested the following with versions 1.2.4,
1.3.4 and 1.4.2.

*summary*

When doing a normal scroll search (not one with a *search_type=scan*), it
appears that the "from" parameter is being ignored.

*example 1 (no scrolling, result is correct)*

In this simplified example, only one document matches the supplied query,
so with *from=1* no documents are returned.

curl
localhost:9200/hm-community-alias/FileInfo/_search?q=parents:c10ed0583104036a94e110f0a8b5fd7d4\&from=1

*example 2 (with scrolling, incorrect result)*

In this example, where we specify the same query and from parameters, but
also specify a scroll parameter, we incorrectly get the single document
returned from the query.

curl
localhost:9200/hm-community-alias/FileInfo/_search?q=parents:c10ed0583104036a94e110f0a8b5fd7d4\&from=1\&scroll=2s

| json

*notes*

   1. Both of the above test cases work correctly in version 1.0.1
   2. In newer versions (where example 2 fails), I noticed that the *from*
   value is not present in the data that was returned from the query.

I understand with with a *search_type=scan, *this would be expected because
sorting is disabled.  Also, please note this is a greatly simplified query
just for illustration purposes.  I've attached a sample of an actual query
at the bottom of this post, and *it does contain sorting specifications*.

Is this a known issue or is this being done by design in the newer ES
versions.  A quick scan through the release notes was unrevealing.

Many thanks for any insight!

--g

*sample of full query*

{