Thanks, the rsync to EBS is what I was rolling around in my head, but
wasn't sure if it was a dumb idea.

We used to use Elastic Block Store, but have gotten incredible performance
gains from moving to SSD local storage. The ES team doesn't recommend any
kind of NAS
<http://www.elasticsearch.org/guide/en/elasticsearch/guide/current/hardware.html>,

and they re-iterated in their recent webinar that they couldn't really
recommend EBS. This was exactly in line with our experience: it will work,
but performance is less predictable and certainly degraded from ephermal
storage.

Sounds like I have two options:
1 - shutdown and just restore from snapshot when we start back up.
2 - sync local storage to EBS when we shutdown, and the reverse when we
start up.

Not sure if the juice is going to be worth the squeeze for either of these
options, but I appreciate everyone's thoughts.

Thanks!

--paul

On Wednesday, February 25, 2015 at 2:15:01 AM UTC-5, Norberto Meijome wrote:

> OP points out he is using ephemeral storage...hence shutdown will destroy
> the data...but it can be rsynced to EBS as part of the shutdown
> process...and then repeat in reverse when starting things up again...
>
> Though I guess you could let ES take care of it by tagging nodes
> accordingly and updating the index settings .....(hope it makes sense...)
> On 25/02/2015 4:58 pm, "Mark Walkom" <markw...@gmail.com <javascript:>>
> wrote:
>
>> Why not just shut the cluster down, disable allocation first and then
>> just gracefully power things off?

>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/CAEYi1X_D15Aq62TzhbTN8kWKDPGpsuoYP2e2RJta9N5_tu4_ZA%40mail.gmail.com
>>
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/CAEYi1X_D15Aq62TzhbTN8kWKDPGpsuoYP2e2RJta9N5_tu4_ZA%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>

*Important Notice:*  The information contained in or attached to this email
message is confidential and proprietary information of RedOwl Analytics,
Inc., and by opening this email or any attachment the recipient agrees to
keep such information strictly confidential and not to use or disclose the
information other than as expressly authorized by RedOwl Analytics, Inc.
 If you are not the intended recipient, please be aware that any use,
printing, copying, disclosure, dissemination, or the taking of any act in
reliance on this communication or the information contained herein is
strictly prohibited. If you think that you have received this email message
in error, please delete it and notify the sender.