I didn't get any help on this but as an FYI for those that may have this
issue and are just starting:

Digging deeper it appears our system was created with 5 shards and 1
replica.   Granted we are only using 1 node so every day elasticsearch
would create an indice of 10 shards, 5 for the primary node and 5 for the
secondary node (which doesn't exist on our system but would for
redundancy).  We made it so all future indices created have 0 replicas in
the future.    I can't find a way to clean up all the unallocated shards
from previous indices without deleting the data.

If the active shards is almost = to unassigned shards you are using
replication and need to have a second node running.