That is the right setting to disable store throttling, but even without
throttling writes MB/sec for merges, the merges can still fall behind,
leading to index throttling.  ES does this to protect the health of the
index because too many segments will cause all sorts of trouble.

What IO system is your index on?  If you're on spinning disks you could try
setting index.merge.scheduler.max_thread_count to 1 since spinning disks
struggle with concurrent merges.  See
http://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/current/index-modules-merge.html

Also, do you leave enough (at least 50%) free RAM to the OS for buffering
pages?  This can make a difference with spinning disks since the OS has
more freedom to do read-ahead on the files being merged...

Mike McCandless

<http://www.elastic.co>