Good to know, thanks for the tip!

PS: per the prior conversations, I tried optimizing all the indexes so that
they only contain 1 segment per shard.  The operation actually did not take
long, but it appears to have had only a marginal effect on the performance
of snapshots.  I'm not sure if it matters that the indexes are optimized,
but the indexes in the old snapshots aren't...that is, will snapshotting
get faster after those old snapshots have all been deleted and replaced
with snapshots of the new optimized indexes?

I guess the other two levers to try cranking are reducing shards and
reducing indexes.  If I understand correctly, there's no way to do this
without writing up some script?