Are you saying JVM is using 99% of the system memory or 99% of the heap?
If it's 99% of the available heap that's bad and you will have cluster
instability.  I suggest increasing your JVM heap size if you can, I can't
find it right now but I remember a blog post that used twitter as a
benchmark and they also could get to ~50M documents with the default 1G
heap.